Emergency and Trauma Services
Families throughout southeast Los Angeles County rely on St. Francis Medical Center to provide expert emergency care close to home. As one of the largest and busiest emergency and Level II trauma centers in the area, we handle more than 80,000 emergencies and 2,200 traumas a year. This experience gives us a depth of expertise in providing advanced emergency and trauma care for children and adults.
Highlights of our program
- Prompt Access to Care
- Our emergency department offers 24/7 access to experts, technologies and support services. Through our Team Care approach, we are able to reduce wait times and ensure swift and highly skilled care. We have processes in place to quickly collect medical information, perform tests and conduct an initial evaluation (triage) so you can avoid unnecessary delays in care.
- Specialty Care
- If you experience a complex or life-threatening injury, our team of specialists stands ready to help you. Our expanded emergency response team includes neurosurgeons, heart specialists, anesthesiologists and orthopedists who are available all hours of the day and night. Find out more about the St. Francis heart center and our orthopedics, joint and spine program.
- Verified Trauma Center
- In 1996, in response to a dramatic lack of trauma services in Southeast Los Angeles, St. Francis Medical Center established its trauma center. Our trauma center is designated by the Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency, and verified as a Level II trauma center by the American College of Surgeons, which acknowledges our center’s dedication to providing optimal care for trauma patients. This includes the full spectrum of care, from the pre-hospital phase through the rehabilitation process.
- Recognized Trauma Team
- Our high-level trauma team includes trauma surgeons; emergency department physicians; anesthesiologists; surgical, emergency and intensive care nurses; radiology technicians; respiratory therapists; emergency medical technicians; laboratory technicians; social workers; case management specialists; spiritual care counselors; and a patient advocate.
- Air Transport Capability
- The trauma center has an essential role within Los Angeles County. The most critically ill or injured patients are transported to our trauma center via helicopter, thereby eliminating life-threatening delays in care.
- Trauma can be a frightening experience for you and your loved ones. Throughout your experience, we take the time to explain what is happening and answer any questions you may have. You may also take comfort in speaking with one of our trauma team chaplains. Chaplains lend a caring ear and offer spiritual guidance to families of all faiths. Learn more about pastoral and spiritual care services.
- STEMI Receiving Center
- St. Francis Medical Center is an approved STEMI Receiving Center for Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services. A STEMI, or “ST elevation myocardial infarction,” is a type of heart attack requiring Catheterization Lab intervention. Vital care for patients experiencing a STEMI begins in our Emergency Department. Our elevated level of service continues in our Heart Center, which provides immediate response and treatment for patients undergoing a STEMI.
- Stroke Receiving Center
- St. Francis Medical Center is an approved Stroke Receiving Center for Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services, with immediate treatment beginning in our Emergency Department. Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States – more than 795,000 people suffer a stroke each year. The good news is that about 4.5 million stroke survivors are alive today, and for many of them, it is due to the immediate treatment they received at an approved Stroke Receiving Center. Our Stroke Team provides advanced diagnostic technologies and techniques, medication management, education on life style changes, and post stroke rehabilitation.
- Approved for Pediatrics
- St. Francis Medical Center is an EDAP (Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics) designated provider by Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services, receiving 9-1-1 ambulance traffic of pediatric patients. As a provider, our hospital’s Emergency Department has special pediatric equipment, physician specialty coverage, and ongoing pediatric staff education to specifically address and meet the needs of the critically ill pediatric patient.
- Paramedic Base Station
St. Francis plays an important role in coordinating rapid access to paramedic services for the entire community. We run one of the busiest paramedic base stations in Los Angeles County. Our in-house team of mobile intensive care nurses (MICNs) coordinates the services of 33 paramedic squads in response to more than 1,700 emergency calls each month. The base station also offers education to paramedics and MICNs, in compliance with Continuing Medical Education requirements.Did you know that if you have a medical emergency and call 9-1-1 for help, you can request the paramedics to transport you to St. Francis Medical Center.
- Access to Care, Regardless of Ability to Pay
- All patients are welcome at St. Francis, even if you do not have insurance. We can help you find out if you are eligible for government-funded insurance programs, such as MediCal and CalFresh. Read more about our Health Benefits Resource Center.
Contact us at (310) 900-7380 to learn more about the services we offer or to make an appointment.