At St. Louise Regional Hospital, we have an expert team of medical professionals specially trained in treating patients with lung disease. With our team’s help, you will learn about the lung condition you have and gain the skills to better manage it.
Feature of our pulmonary rehabilitation (rehab) program include:
- Convenience: We offer a professional pulmonary rehab program in the convenience of your own local hospital.
- Expert team: Our pulmonary rehab specialists are experienced in working with patients who have shortness of breath.
- Compassionate care: We consistently receive excellent feedback from patients for our compassionate care. We pride ourselves on personalizing treatment to each patient.
What Is Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
Pulmonary rehabilitation (rehab) is a program that helps you breathe better to improve your health and strength. Pulmonary rehab combines exercise, education and one-on-one support to achieve these goals.
Doctors typically prescribe pulmonary rehab for patients with breathing conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD).
Pulmonary Rehab Program at St. Louise
The goal of our program is to help you improve your health so you can do more of the activities you enjoy.
The program typically includes:
- Exercise: Pulmonary rehab includes exercises to improve endurance, strength and flexibility. Exercises may involve walking, riding a stationary bike or even exercising in a chair. Medical professionals will check your pulse, heart rate and oxygen levels during exercise.
- Education: Patients learn how the lungs work and how their lung problems affect breathing. You will also learn about your medications, how to use oxygen if your doctor prescribes it and how to quit smoking.
- Tips and techniques: Our pulmonary rehab program will teach you breathing techniques to reduce shortness of breath. You will also get relaxation tips and learn how to pace yourself throughout the day so you have more energy.
- Support: Pulmonary rehab includes support groups where you can talk with and learn from others with chronic lung disease. Our expert medical staff is also here to help provide answers to your healthcare questions.
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehab at St. Louise
You will be surprised at how much you can achieve with pulmonary rehab.
Our program will help you:
- Improve strength, endurance and independence so you can do more of what you enjoy
- Complete daily activities with less shortness of breath
- Understand symptoms and medications so you spend less time in the emergency department or in the hospital
- Learn to relax and not panic when you feel short of breath
- Quit smoking, which is the most important step you can take for your lung health
- Get answers to your healthcare questions
- Set and meet realistic goals
You can find the pulmonary rehab program on the first floor of St. Louise Regional Hospital. For more information or to make an appointment, call (408) 848-8652.
Did You Know
The pulmonary rehab program at St. Louise Regional Hospital can help you get stronger and experience less shortness of breath. Pulmonary rehab programs combine education, exercise and personalized support to reduce symptoms of lung problems.