Cardiac Care Institute
Expert Cardiac Care Close to Home
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a heart condition, you want the best in local treatment. You want St. Vincent Medical Center. We are a community-based care center located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. Our experienced team of experts and specialists treat a wide range of heart conditions. We are dedicated to giving you the most effective, comprehensive care possible.
When you choose St. Vincent for your heart care, you benefit from:
- Patient-centered approach: Our cardiovascular specialists put your unique health needs and personal preferences at the center of your treatment plan. We include you in every important decision in your care and keep you informed at every stage of treatment. Learn more about heart conditions we treat.
- Leading techniques and treatments: We were the very first hospital on the West Coast to perform open heart surgery and we were the first hospital in Los Angeles to offer transesophageal echocardiography, a noninvasive way to view the beating heart. Find out more about interventional cardiology treatment and cardiac surgery.
- Patient support services: We are proud to serve our diverse community. We offer translation services, volunteers who ensure that multi-ethnic patients get accurate representation, and a transport service for patients who live within a 10-mile radius of our facility.
Cardiac Services at the Cardiac Care Institute
At St. Vincent, our experts offer a comprehensive set of advanced services for the best treatment outcomes. You’ll have access to our cardiac catheterization lab and advanced equipment and diagnostic options as well as a host of top-of-the-line treatment options.
Our services include:
- Diagnostic tests: Our team is equipped and experienced at screening for all types of heart conditions and uses multiple diagnostic tests like cardiac catheterization and echocardiography.
- Cardiac catheterization: Our team is equipped and experienced at screening for all types of heart conditions and uses multiple diagnostic tests like cardiac catheterization and echocardiography.
- Arrhythmia care:We are experts in treating your irregular heartbeat and are skilled at implanting pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators.
- Advanced treatment options:In the event your condition requires surgical care, know that our team has the experience you want and need for the very best outcomes.
We understand that many patients with a heart condition feel uncertain, but you can feel confident about your care at St. Vincent Medical Center. No matter what your diagnosis, the experts at St. Vincent are prepared to offer you excellent treatment. We will work together to give your specific condition the best outcome possible.
Heart Conditions We Treat
At St. Vincent, we are proud of our reputation as the hospital of choice for the downtown Los Angeles community. That’s because we are able to offer comprehensive treatment to all types of heart conditions.
Common conditions we see include:
- Heart disease: Plaque built up along the coronary walls that makes it harder for blood to flow and can lead to heart attack
- Heart attack: Damage to the heart caused by a restriction of oxygen
- Arrhythmia: An irregular heartbeat that can be an indicator of larger problems
- Heart valve disease: A narrowing, prolapsed or leaky valve that affects the heart’s ability to pump blood
- Vascular conditions: Diseases affecting the arteries and veins
- Heart failure: The heart’s inability to properly pump blood throughout the body
Diagnosing Cardiovascular Disease
Our doctors use the most advanced screening tools to provide an accurate diagnosis as quickly as possible. Then, we can immediately begin developing your personalized heart treatment plan.
Diagnostic tests and procedures may include:
- Intravascular ultrasound: A test using sound waves to examine the interior of blood vessels
- Nuclear stress testing: An imaging test that shows how well blood is flowing into the heart
- Electrocardiography (EKG): A test that examines the electrical activity in the heart
- Echocardiography: A test that uses sound waves to show moving pictures of the heart
- Computer tomography (CT) scanning: An imaging process that scans your whole body
- Arrhythmia monitoring: A process that tracks your heart’s electrical activity for 24 hours
Treating Heart Conditions
At St. Vincent, we offer a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, cardiologists, electrophysiologists and more who work together to provide you with a personalized, effective treatment plan.
Treatment plans vary per condition and individual, and at St. Vincent, we provide you with options that include:
Being diagnosed with a heart condition, you may wonder what your treatment options look like. At St. Vincent Medical Center, our team of experts will use the most effective minimally invasive techniques, like interventional cardiology, whenever possible. Interventional treatment methods are used with the goal of getting you the best outcomes for your condition while avoiding major surgery.
At St. Vincent, you get access to this advanced treatment from our expert interventional cardiology team, conveniently located in one facility. That means you’ll never have to move from one building to another to meet with a specialist or even recover.
Excellence in Cardiac Catheterization
Our cardiac catheterization laboratory team has advanced training to treat patients with minimally invasive procedures, from coronary angiograms to laser angioplasty. We use advanced tools and technology to treat a high volume of patients with excellent outcomes. This experience and expertise means you receive the most effective heart care possible.
Interventional cardiology procedures we perform include:
- Coronary angiogram: An X-ray test that allows your doctors to examine arteries for blockage.
- Coronary balloon angioplasty: The use of a balloon to widen arteries and increase blood flow.
- Laser angioplasty: A laser at the end of a catheter is used to remove plaque from coronary arteries.
- Coronary stenting: A tiny structure is used to support the walls of the artery to support increases blood flow.
- Electrophysiology: A test that examines the heart’s electrical conduction to find the cause of disturbances in its rhythm.
- Radiofrequency catheter ablation: Passing radiofrequency energy through a catheter to destroy abnormal tissue.
- Endomyocardial biopsy: A small portion of sample tissue is removed from the heart to screen for potential disease.
- Valvuloplasty: Similar to angioplasty, a balloon is used open the valve’s fused leaflets and allow for better blood flow.
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO) closure: The use of a catheter to close a hole in the heart.
- Implantation devices: Minimally invasive interventional procedures like:
- Pacemakers: A device that uses electrical impulses to regulate the rhythm of the heart’s beat.
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillators: A device that helps track heart rate and delivers an electric shock to restore a normal heartbeat in the event of erratic beating.
If your doctor determines that you need cardiac surgery, our highly trained surgeons will provide you with the expert care you need. Find out more about cardiac surgery.
When your heart condition requires surgery, our cardiac surgeons use the most advanced techniques available so you can get back to enjoying your life. At St. Vincent Medical Center, our surgical team works closely with the cardiology team to determine the most effective treatment plan for you.
Expertise in Heart Surgery
Our board-certified heart surgeons are experts in using surgery to treat patients with serious heart conditions. They have an expertise in performing a wide range of heart surgeries, including:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery: The rerouting of blood from around a clogged artery to improve the flow of blood and oxygen to the heart
- Off-pump coronary bypass surgery: Coronary artery bypass surgery performed on a still-beating heart
- Heart valve replacement: The surgical replacement of damaged heart valves
- Transmyocardial revascularization: Improving the flow of blood by using a laser to create channels through the heart muscle into the heart chamber
- Aortic homograft: The replacement of the damaged aorta with a donor aorta
- Endovascular repair: Surgery to repair a widened area of the aorta
- Coronary angioplasty: The use of a balloon to widen an artery wall to increase blood flow to the heart
Our heart specialists will explore nonsurgical options, such as interventional cardiology, whenever possible. Learn more about interventional cardiology treatment.
Heart Surgery: What to Expect
We involve you and your loved ones in every step of your treatment. While each person’s surgery is different, here is a general idea of what you can expect when you come to St. Vincent for heart surgery:
- Before surgery: To prepare you for your surgery, you’ll have a pre-op appointment with our specialists. You’ll be provided detailed information about your procedure, projected recovery time, and any post-procedure rehabilitation needs.
- After surgery: The type of surgery you have and your overall health will determine the length of your hospital stay. This can range anywhere from 23 hours to six days. Some procedures will require recovery time in the intensive care unit. Before you go home, our team will provide you with a post-procedure education. We will also provide meticulous follow-up care, including regular check-ups to monitor your recovery.
Contact us at (213) 484-7800 to learn more about the services we offer or to make an appointment.