Orthopedics and Joint Care
Joint and spine conditions can be painful and potentially life altering. Fortunately, St. Vincent Medical Center offers the best in orthopedic care to give you more options for recovery and restoration. Located in downtown Los Angeles, our team of experts and specialists is dedicated to treating all joint and spine conditions. We are leaders and provide everything from routine care to complicated procedures.
When you choose St. Vincent for your orthopedic care, you will find:
- Convenient care: We provide complete orthopedic care to patients right in the heart of Los Angeles. That means you don’t have to travel far to get the care you need. We’re dedicated to helping people in our local community achieve their best health through personalized care and wellness planning, treating the full range of joint and spine conditions.
- Dedicated to excellence: Our experts are involved in leading-edge research, publishing their work in well-known medical journals. St. Vincent specialists are also frequently invited to present their research at other orthopedic centers. That means that you benefit from the latest care, diagnostic procedures and treatments.
- Continuum of care: Our experienced physicians offer the full spectrum of care for orthopedic and spine conditions. That comprehensive, responsive care starts with your initial evaluation and continues through treatment and follow-up care.
- Non-invasive and minimally invasive treatment: We strive to use non-invasive and minimally invasive methods before surgery whenever possible. These treatment options may include observation, medical management or physical therapy.
- Team approach: Our collaborative approach to patient care means that our team of experts works together to design your treatment plan. Our multidisciplinary team includes joint replacement specialists and neurosurgeons. We are in regular communication, discussing your symptoms, needs and goals to provide you with the most effective possible care.
Comprehensive Orthopedics Services
At St. Vincent, you get complete orthopedic care. No matter your joint or spine condition, our specialists are dedicated to offering you with the full spectrum of orthopedic services.
We are ready to provide you services that include:
The Joint Replacement Institute
At St. Vincent Medical Center
Originally established in 1991, and re-located to St. Vincent Medical Center in 2008, the Joint Replacement Institute (JRI) is an internationally recognized center of excellence in orthopaedic surgery, with a focus on hip and knee pain and arthritis. The JRI offers a broad range of operative and non-operative treatments including joint injections and targeted physical therapy. JRI surgeons are pioneers in less invasive and computer assisted (navigation) surgery. Our integrated, multi-modal anesthesia, pain management, and rehabilitation protocols facilitate rapid recovery and improve patient outcomes. Our multi-lingual staff has been assembled to serve the diverse patient population of Southern California and the world.
For In-Person or Phone Consultations
Language Interpretation Service Available
Spine Care at St. Vincent Medical Center
If you have a spine condition that causes you pain and discomfort, you want a team of physicians who can provide you with the most advanced, effective care possible. At St. Vincent Medical Center, our spine specialists are leaders in their field, ensuring you receive a precise diagnosis and the latest treatment options available. Our goal is to restore the health of your spine and help you return to your normal, daily routine.
Spine Conditions We Treat
St. Vincent provides comprehensive spinal treatment for patients with all types of spinal disorders, including:
- Bulging or herniated discs: The rupturing of a vertebra causing the center of the disk to leak
- Bone spurs: Abnormal outgrowths
- Spinal scoliosis: The abnormal curving of the spine
- Spinal stenosis: A condition that causes the narrowing of the spine
- Spinal tumors: Tumors that form in or around the spine
When many patients think of spinal treatment, they assume they will need surgery. However, our experts have found that many patients do not need surgery.
Instead, we can often treat conditions using nonsurgical methods like:
- Physical therapy: The treatment of a condition by physical means rather than medical or surgical
- Medical therapy: The use of medication to treat a joint condition
- Injection therapy: The injection of medications directly into a joint for treatment
If those treatments do not relieve your symptoms, our team will discuss:
- Minimally invasive surgery: While not everyone qualifies for minimally invasive procedures, our experts will look at this as an option first.
- Surgery: The good news is that most patients don’t actually need surgery. However, if your condition does require surgery, know that our expert surgeons are dedicated to getting you the best outcomes.
Contact Spine at (213) 484-7310 to learn more about the services we offer or to make an appointment.
Collaborative Spinal Care at St. Vincent
We offer patients an on-site multidisciplinary team. We are in constant communication, consulting with each other in an effort to provide you with the most comprehensive, informed care possible.
At St. Vincent, your team may include orthopedic experts and specialists including:
- Physical therapists
- Spinal surgeons
- Pain management specialists
We make sure to include you every step of the way. Our experts and specialists understand that this can be a potentially worrisome time and you can feel confident that we will work to not only relieve your symptoms but any anxiety you may be feeling as well.
Patient Support Services for Orthopedic Conditions
At St. Vincent Medical Center, we help our orthopedic patients achieve excellent outcomes, so they can return to their active lives. A large part of our success comes from the support that our team provides at every stage. Whether you’re receiving physical therapy or undergoing surgery, we offer constant, comprehensive support throughout your treatment journey.
The experienced team at St. Vincent offers:
- An expertly trained staff: Our team members are leaders in research. That means you get the most up-to-date treatment options possible.
- Comprehensive patient education: Our consultations and information sessions keep you informed on all aspects of your treatment. We encourage you to be an active part of the decision-making process regarding your care.
- Extended follow-up care: In the days, weeks and months following your treatment, we stay in contact with you to track your recovery progress.
- Collaborative support: Our multidisciplinary team of experts and specialists work together to make sure you’re getting the information and support you need. From your initial consultation to your treatment and recovery, you receive support from experts and specialists including:
- Dedicated registered nurses and nurse practitioners
- Physical therapists
- Mental health professionals
- Constant communication: We want you to understand every step of your care. Our experienced team knows that this can be a stressful time. We make sure that we are available to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Patient Education: Preparing for Your Orthopedic Procedure
We want you to be as informed as possible. Our expertly trained team educates you about what to expect before, during and after your orthopedic procedure. We work with you to set expectations and goals for returning to your daily activities.
- Information sessions about your procedure
- Details on what to expect during recovery
- Training on post-procedure therapeutic exercises
- Education on readapting to your daily routine
- Activities to avoid before and after your procedure
Comprehensive Support Services
Our orthopedic experts help you manage controllable risk factors. We examine lifestyle factors that could work against you in achieving your best outcome.
Support services include:
- Smoking cessation classes for tobacco users
- Weight management plans for patients who may be overweight or obese